13.8.11

treasure hunters

just got home from spending a week in a rustic cabin in quebec with my family.
we had a fun time exploring the land and sights (photos to come)...

we also explored an abandoned house on the property.  
call me crazy...
but this was the highlight of the week for me.  
it is something i have always wanted to do!
you know those old houses you drive by on country roads, with the doors wide open...
there's one on the way up to my parents' place and i've always wanted to stop to look inside.
i wish i had captured a photo of the house and how it looked...
  (you can see it in the background)
it was crazy inside, ceiling down, floors tilting every which way, 
cupboards leaning so much that doors are wide open and dishes are sliding out one by one,
yet there was unopened mail sitting on the little table in the kitchen...

we brought these items out to save them (it was clear that house hadn't been touched in years),
but willing to return each piece if removing them would upset anyone.
 i think it's crazy that all these 'treasures' were left there untouched.
 can you see the old hockey skates?
what would you have chosen from the collection?
upon receiving the okay - my sisters and i each claimed one of the black chairs.
i was also able to bring home the globe
(which my mother bravely rescued from the very slanty room at the back of the house).
~
if you know of a old house that needs exploring, let me know!
have you ever explored an old abandoned house?  
what treasures did you see?


8 comments:

Angela said...

i like to think that we 'rescued' these treasures! i am excited with my new crock and chair!

Unknown said...

you have good few great finds there :)
have a lovely day!

ShareandRemember said...

That looks like so much fun! Wow! I love the chairs & globe.

Julie said...

When I drive down an old country lane and see those types of houses I imagine doing just what you did. What fun for you--especially to discover and KEEP such treasures.

C.LEE said...

What a great way to discover treasures and make memories with your family!

Sherry said...

How awesome! Treasures indeed!

rebecca said...

oh my, you found some amazing treasures! I'm drooling over those chairs!! :) Rebecca

Mailbox Moments said...

I love the chairs! What a fun and lucky find!