22.12.11

mini cupcakes

i made mini cupcakes for my girl's classes for christmas.
love that one cake mix makes enough for two classes - super easy.

interesting experience for me as i worked away on this special treat.
the cupcakes stuck to the non-stick pan. 
(will find liners for next time...)
they didn't want to stay together as i removed them from the pan.
i was tempted early on to give up and make something else...
they weren't looking pretty 
and i'm usually hesitant to share my work if it's not 'pretty'.
the people pleaser (and slight perfectionist) in me.
but then i thought to myself  that 4, 5 and 6 year olds 
are not going to notice that some of the edges are crumbly...
they see chocolate frosting with a tiny silver ball on top.
to them, they'll be special and delicious.
~
it's easy to share the things we're proud of:
like getting a strike on your first ball (oh yeah!)
 or pretty chocolate treats created for special teachers.
but it can be hard to share the things in our lives
that we're not so proud of.

as i think back to the moments when i have made myself vulnerable 
and shared my worries, weaknesses, or mistakes with others,
most often those things have been received with love and respect
and resulted in strengthened relationships as a result of my honesty.

so over the holidays, share your 'not so perfect cupcakes,'
it just might feel good.

and try to look at the world through a child's non-judgemental eyes, 
looking past imperfections and seeing what makes it 'special and delicious'...

merry christmas friends!  

(all photos posted today were from my iphone)

1 comment:

Angela said...

Amen to that! Good for your Cheryl....the kiddies will love them (and they look pretty 'pretty' to me!)